Sunday, September 02, 2007

Smart Card... Dumb Issuer?‎


Okay first of all let me tell all of you what a refreshing vacation that was! After a couple ‎of years of no proper full vacation, only a day or two every couple of months and that’s ‎it. Boy this was refreshing.‎

Despite the heat in Bahrain, I didn’t travel this year and stayed here the whole time but ‎decided to take a full time off computers, relax and do absolutely nothing except for a ‎few dinners out here ‘n’ there, a couple of shopping/food trips to Saudi and that was it. I ‎just wanted to relax and think nothing of work or anything else for that matter.‎

One of my experiences during this vacation was that my CPR card has expired and that ‎they only replace it with the new “smart” ID card. So I said what the heck, whether we ‎like it or not we have to go with the flow. Thanks to the advice on Ammar’s blog... I went ‎there well prepared with all the documentation required. I booked an appointment on ‎their retarded website and finally was set for the day of reckoning!‎

The day arrived and I went to the CIO in Isa Town and was actually 20 minutes earlier ‎than my appointment. So I decided to go to the information desk anyways and told the ‎guy I had an appointment 20 mins later and he asked for my CPR, he entered the data and ‎gave me a waiting number. Once I took the number I saw it flashing at one of the many ‎counters open. I thought “well hey, they have improved a lot, many counters, huge ‎waiting areas, you know what? Maybe these government entities aren’t that retarded after ‎all and that they are changing for the better”. That was going on in my mind as I was ‎walking towards that counter. All was well and I suddenly got that fresh breeze of ‎optimism inside me as I was excited to get the card. The counter was empty but my ‎number was there so I sat down and waited for the person to attend to me. Suddenly that ‎breeze of optimism flew away like a tornado faster than the hurricanes you hear about in ‎the Caribbean. There you go, typical government entity, no one is there! I waited for a ‎couple of minutes until a lady showed up who looked like “Um Hilal*”; she was an exact ‎replica of her. So I gave her all my documents and told her that my CPR was expired and ‎that I need to have it replaced. She typed in my details and this happened:‎

Um Hilal Wannabe: “Are you still studying in the University of Bahrain?”‎
Me: “Huh? No! I work and here’s the letter from my employer”‎
UHW: “But you are listed here as a UoB student”‎
Me: “Yeah but now I work, and for the record, I completed my studies abroad and just ‎was in the registration phase at UoB, anyways, isn’t it your job to replace my details with ‎my work details?”‎
UHW: “No I can’t remove it from the system unless you bring me a letter from the UoB ‎that you are no longer studying there”‎
Me: “But I didn’t study there, I only registered and went abroad”‎
UHW: “In that case bring a copy of your degree from abroad”‎
Me: “But now I have to go back to work and get the copy and this will take even longer ‎to process instead of finishing the whole thing today”‎
UHW: “I can’t do anything else, I can’t remove the details without either a statement ‎from the UoB or your certificate”‎
Me: “But I work now and it is not relevant anyways whether I study in the UoB or not. It ‎doesn’t matter cuz I work and that should be listed as my occupation. You guys just love ‎to make our time harder don’t you? You just love to see us beg like dogs to get ‎permission to leave our job to come here and take it from you? (Which of course I was on ‎leave and it didn’t matter!)”‎
UHW: “Sorry I can’t do anything else... NEXT!”‎

I sat and waited for my friend who was there too, and I went to vent some steam out ‎when I talked about what happened to me loudly in front of the other lady who was ‎serving my friend. That proved to be good because she heard my case and asked me if I ‎had stopped studying with UoB before 2004 to which I answered that I didn’t go there at ‎all but yeah to answer her question yes it was way before 2004, much before that! So she ‎went to UHW and told her that she could change my occupation details without any ‎paperwork.‎

Everything else went smoothly afterwards and a few minutes later, I walked out with a ‎shiny new smart card but also with a few burnt brain cells because of getting angry at ‎UHW. Smart card, dumb dumb dumb employees issuing it.‎

And what the fuck is up with these stupid cards anyways? I mean they don’t have the ‎address printed on them unlike the old CPR card and the Identity (Personal) Card which ‎can also be used as a travel document to some GCC States like Qatar, UAE and Oman, ‎but not KSA which is closer to us, what dumbfucks, instead of introducing electronic ‎passport/ID card scanners on the causeway, they make it more difficult to get through.‎

They say that with card readers you can get the address and other details about the ‎cardholder, but not everyone has the reader yet. So how can I prove my address to anyone ‎requiring it? Smart card my ass, yes smart on paper but dumb in reality.‎

Overall, my view still hasn’t changed about how laid back most of the government ‎workers are, there ARE some who are hard workers but the majority isn’t. Don’t pretend ‎they are and that all life is perfect in these workplaces.‎

Fuck this shit, I’ll go sort all the pics I took during the holiday and articles I dug out the ‎newspapers to prepare them to be grilled here on LiB...

*Um Hilal: A popular fat black Bahraini actress who had popular series in the 80s during Ramadhan.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides tht, if anyone wants to book an appointment, all are full!!!!=S check out the link:

http://www.smartcard.gov.bh/appointment/index.php?newlang=ara

2:29 PM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Haf3z said...

Finally back :D. Nice to see you online again!

2:59 PM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Silveroo The Sailor said...

haha. loved the title. loved the abbreviation of UHW. the more pissed off u r, the funnier so ma3alayh :) bring it on!

welcome back.

8:31 PM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

UM is well known here in bh. i dont think there's anyone needs to read more to know her :). there're several of them here btw in bh (i mean as a person too) and about that smart card, i've never used it or have one even but i heard that it can give all ur info and the life storie of u if u want by those readers. i have the same view about those cursed government �workers.
I enjoyed reading this post, it made me smily ..

9:40 PM, September 02, 2007  
Blogger Ammaro said...

um hilal was like, 4 hot women.

2:08 PM, September 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, congrats on getting it!

I think the delay is because of the gov is issuing more and more everyday for pakistanis, jordanians etc..

9:26 AM, September 27, 2007  
Anonymous Ahmed said...

Well,
Maybe its late to comment on this, but MAAAAAN i faced the exact situation!! with minor mods:
1) UHW: instead I met UHW SON with a nice goaty!
2) The B@$*erdo refused to register me as a Masters Degree holder, instead there was no evidence that i've left UOB so i was a SECONDARY school grad!
3) my job disc. was not listed in the ret. system, so i had to look for the closest one - after explaining my life story to the Jordanian BOSS.

Sorry to say: way to go Bahrain.

9:00 AM, July 16, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've read all your comments. guys chill it, there are hick up's in every where. not just Bahrain. be positive, why complain....

if someone is not happy....maybe they should leave & goto........you know where.....IR_N

5:43 PM, July 22, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks after sharing. Like at all times, on the well-to-do and right on objective!

7:39 PM, February 14, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not sure where to post this but I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of National Clicks?

Can someone help me find it?

Overheard some co-workers talking about it all week but didn't have time to ask so I thought I would post it here to see if someone could help me out.

Seems to be getting alot of buzz right now.

Thanks

2:25 PM, April 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home